- Streaming-audio giant Spotify is hiring for nearly 90 engineering positions in the US.
- Insider analyzed public data on US work visas to see what Spotify pays for engineering jobs.
- Spotify, founded in Sweden, recently offered $60,000 to $293,000 for various engineering roles.
Spotify is hiring engineers, and salary data shows it pays as much as six figures in the field.
America’s Most Loved Workplaces” in 2021, is staffing up in various engineering roles.-audio company, which topped Newsweek’s list of “
Its jobs board currently lists roughly 150 engineering openings, nearly 90 of which are based in the US.
Insider analyzed disclosures released by the US Office of Foreign Labor Certification for employees on work visas to see on what Spotify pays for certain roles.
The public data revealed how much Spotify offered to pay foreign staffers it sought to hire in the US for jobs including engineering, data, and marketing roles.
We analyzed wages from 171 foreign-labor-certification applications that were submitted by Spotify and certified between October 1, 2019 and September 30, 2021. Of those applications, 97 were for engineering or developer-related roles.
The majority of the applications for engineering-related roles were based in New York or Boston.
The wages in the disclosure data are the minimum amounts the company declared in foreign-labor-certification applications to pay specific workers, according to US Department of Labor documentation. The salaries are based on the average compensation that similar employees with comparable qualifications in each job and industry are paid, which is known as the prevailing wage.
Companies may choose to pay employees more than the figures reflected in this data or compensate them in additional ways, like through stock options and grants. Spotify, for example, has an incentive program that offers staffers grants, which they can put toward stock options, cash bonuses, and restricted stock units.
Based on the data, Spotify offered annual base salaries ranging from $60,000 to $293,356 for various engineering and developer jobs.
The positions included:
- Android engineer: $181,750 median; ranging from $178,500 to $185,000
- Android engineer II: $171,820 median; ranging from $162,000 to $198,966
- Associate machine learning engineer: $125,000
- Backend engineer: $160,000 median; ranging from $113,410 to $211,177
- Data engineer: $175,000 median; ranging from $60,000 to $260,000
- Data engineering manager: $190,020 to $251,741
- Engineering manager: $210,600
- Experienced developer: $163,048 median; $70,000 to $244,571
- Fullstack engineer: $141,400
- IOS engineer: $146,260 median; ranging from $132,644 to $198,966
- Machine learning engineer: $163,200 median; ranging from $140,000 to $166,400
- Machine learning engineering manager: $208,720
- Robotic Process Automation developer: $130,000 median; ranging from $113,300 to $130,000
- Salesforce developer: $157,000
- Senior backend engineer: $182,510 median; ranging from $150,000 to $244,571
- Senior engineering manager: $216,620 median; ranging from $155,000 to $231,720
- Senior machine learning engineer: $185,000 median; ranging from $165,000 to $235,000
- Senior software developer: $132,644 median; ranging from $110,000 to $198,966
- Senior software engineer/engineer II: $185,750 median; ranging from $130,000 to $251,741
- Senior software engineer/staff engineer: $198,900 to $293,356
- Software development engineer in test: $215,000
- Software engineer/backend engineer: $178,850 to $198,966
- Staff engineer: $230,270 median; ranging from $170,000 to $293,356
- Web engineer II: $215,000