County commissioners approve new server purchases, slip repair funding
Guernsey County commissioners authorized the purchase of two computer servers for the county after one failed earlier this month.
“We are currently operating on the back-up server,” said Commissioner Dave Wilson. “And, we need to have a back-up for the server that is currently in operation.”
The two new servers will cost $17,146 with the expense paid from the county building fund as an IT expense, according to Wilson.
Commissioners approved transferring $36,349 to the Guernsey County Highway Department for slip repairs on Eighth Street Road (County Road 33) in the northern portion of the county.
County Engineer Paul Sherry said the funding provided a 20% local match for an Ohio Public Works Commission emergency grant that funded the remaining 80% of the $102,000 project.
Commissioners also approved a $3,000 expense for Rea & Associates to complete the annual reports required for a bi-annual audit by Ohio Family and Children First.
The Guernsey County Department of Job and Family Services receives funding annually from the Ohio Family and Children First program and Director Kathy Jamiel met with commissioners to discuss the mandatory audit.
Wilson said the decision to use Rea & Associates was made because the company assists the county with internal audits.
Established in 1993, Ohio Family and Children First is a partnership involving state and local government, communities and families to enhance the well-being of children and families.
In other business:
- Approved the fees for dog and kennel registrations for 2022, including $16 for a dog registration and $80 for a kennel registration. Three-year, non-transferrable registrations for a specific dog cost $48 while a non-transferrable lifetime registration is available for $160.
- A contract with Parnell & Associates for a resurfacing project in Valley Township was signed. The Cambridge-based company submitted a low bid of $100,730 for the two-part project on Saltzburg Road and Kenyon Avenue in Buffalo. The bid included $44,702 for work on Kenyon Avenue and $56,028 for paving on Saltzburg Road.
- An reimbursement request by the county Maintenance Department for $295 used to purchase supplies for cleaning and sanitizing county buildings was approved. The expenditure was paid from the CARES Act fund.
- An invitation to bid for a project to install a computer-controlled HVAC system at the Guernsey County Courthouse, Administration Building and Sheriff’s Office was signed.
- Approved renewal agreements for comprehensive case management and employment programs for the county’s Department of Job and Family Services.
- Commissioners agreed to split the cost of an engineering study for a proposed waterline project with Belmont County commissioners. The study will determine the cost of installing a waterline to serve Fairview in Guernsey County and Hendrysburg in Belmont County, which would be connected to a waterline owned by the Village of Barnesville. The current waterline extends north along Ohio 800 from Barnesville to Interstate 70. “The Village of Barnesville doesn’t want to continue the line because they have enough with service to Quaker City and Salesville,” said Wilson. “We agreed to the engineering study to get a clear handle on the cost.”
- A lease amendment between the county and Audiology Services Company USA LLC (Hearing Life) at 407 Wheeling Ave. in Cambridge was approved.
- Authorized a change in the resolution dated July 14 for paving at Countryview Assisted Living on County Home Road.
- The Have of Hope can display purple ribbons on trees outside the Guernsey County Courthouse.
- Reappointed Ronald Gombeda and Denny Harding to the Guernsey County Board of Developmental Disabilities.
Guernsey County Commissioners meet each Monday and Wednesday in the County Administration Building, 627 Wheeling Ave. in downtown Cambridge. Call the office, 740-432-9200, for more information.
Email: [email protected]